IECEU – Improving the Effectiveness of Capabilities in EU Conflict Prevention
“Enhancing the conflict prevention capabilities in CSDP missions and operations.”
IECEU is a three-year project (2015–2018), which aims towards enhancement of EU’s external activities. The consortium is coordinated by Laurea University of Applied Sciences (Finland) and consists of a diverse group of eleven civilian, research and military organisations from seven EU countries reflecting the variety within EU missions. The overall goal of the project is to find out new approaches and solutions to respond to the future challenges and threats.
The project analyses and evaluates the missions’ and operations’ effectiveness in three selected, case study areas, where Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) activities are represented: the Balkans, Africa, and Middle East/Asia. Such comprehensive analysis of current external actions can provide better answers to creating more effective missions and operations. Through analyses and evaluations, the project will identify best practices and develop new approaches and solutions. It aims to strengthen cooperation between different actors in the operational context and to provide recommendations for EU to guarantee long-term stability and to create new types of solutions and mechanisms for conflict preventative activities as an approach to guaranteeing safe communities. The project will also produce a catalogue of best practices and recommendations for the EU to strengthen its capabilities and to focus its strengths more effectively.
The main goals of the IECEU project are:
Analysing the current situation of on-going and past European Union CSDP missions and operations.
Learning from lessons provided by these CSDP missions and assessing the different options.
Providing new solutions, approaches and recommendations for EU to guarantee long-term stability through conflict prevention and peacebuilding.
CEP is involved in seven of the nine working packages and is leading the working groups on dissemination. Follow our regular publications on the project website and social networks. CEP has also participated in the field work in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo.
PUBLICATIONS AND POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS
- D 1.1 Review: from short term stabilisation to long term peacebuilding
- D 1.2 Analysis of the current preventive activities
- D 1.3 Review of civilian and military synergies
- D 1.4 Identifying the success factors
- D 1.5 IECEU Conceptual Famework
- D 2.2 IECEU Bosnia and Herzegovina Review
- D 2.4 Round table discussion of experts
- D 2.5 IECEU The Balkans Conclusion Report
- D 3.1 IECEU DR Congo review
- D 3.2 IECEU South Sudan review
- D 3.3 IECEU Central African Republic Review
- D 3.4 IECEU Libya review
- D 4.1 IECEU Palestinian territories review
- D 4.2 IECEU Afghanistan review
- D 4.3 IECEU Study Report of the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Afghanistan
- D 4.4 Discussion Report on the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Afghanistan
- D 4.5 IECEU Middle East and Asia Conclusion report
- D 5.1 The Effectiveness of EU capabilities and current situation of pooling and sharing
- D 5.2 Design and development process of the NMLA
- D 6.1 Standardisation review
- D 6.2 IECEU Identification of the overlap
- D 6.5 The potential for pooling and sharing the EU capabilities
- D 7.1 The Improvement of the Effectiveness of EU Capabilities
- D 7.2 New Policy Approaches and Solutions (including research priorities)
- D 8.1 Dissemination Plan
- D 8.3 Website and Online Discussion Board
- D 9.2 Project Management Handbook
- IECEU Background Paper on Interoperability