Learning Compass is a regional project aimed at improving the situation of elementary children with special needs through the education of primary school teachers in more remote places in four Western Balkan countries (Albania, Kosovo, Northern Macedonia, BiH).
In the countries of the Western Balkans, the knowledge of experts and especially teachers for children with special needs (also considering ways of pedagogical work with them) is still very lacking. On the other hand, Slovenia has a great deal of knowledge and practical experience in this field. The similarity of school systems, the historical and geographical connection and the linguistic proximity of most Western Balkan countries facilitates the transfer of knowledge and experience from Slovenia to other countries involved in the proposed project. The project will provide Slovenian knowledge and experience in the field of education and assistance to children with special needs in the Western Balkan countries.
The project that will be implemented in two years and will take place in four countries shall:
- Contribute to improving the situation of children with special needs in primary education;
- Contribute to the development of the school systems of the countries involved;
- Strengthen links and cooperation between teaching staff and educational institutions (involved in the project) of the Western Balkan countries and contributed to the peaceful coexistence in the region.
The project will educate 20 experts in each country (special educators, educators, school counselors) from the countries involved:
- to work with children with disabilities within school systems;
- to disseminate basic knowledge about children with special needs among primary school teachers;
- to implement acquired knowledge of helping professionals with special needs work and to educate primary school teachers about the needs and approaches of children with disabilities.
Through meetings and regular briefing, the project will also involve decision makers (relevant state, federal, regional and / or local ministries of education and school leaders) who will be informed about the project and our activities.
IN COOPERATION WITH