Centre for European Perspective cordially invites you to a roundtable discussion
The Republic of Slovenia as a Non-Permanent Member of the UN Security Council 2024–2025: Streamlining our Approach Toward Common Objectives
Tuesday, 12 December 2023, 11:00 – 12:30 CET
On 6 June 2023, the Republic of Slovenia was elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council in the period 2024-2025 with 153 votes of support. In the upcoming two-year period, Slovenian priorities will encompass conflict prevention, protection of civilians in armed conflicts, women, peace and security, and climate, peace and security. The successful election is only the beginning of our hard work towards the common goal of preserving peace and security. To face the challenges, streamlining the approach of various Slovenian actors working in relevant areas will be crucial.
The roundtable will serve as an opportunity to
- strengthen awareness among the professional public on the priority objectives set out for the future role of the Republic of Slovenia within the UNSC
- reinforce the current national policy debate on the objectives and expected results of the Republic of Slovenia as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council 2024–2025
- provide additional perspectives, including from other comparable European countries who have held the non-permanent UNSC seat
- map out actors in Slovenian space who are not part of the Slovenian government but in their work focus on topics relevant to Slovenia’s priority areas of action during its non-permanent seat so they could provide additional substantive support to the Slovenian governmental team working on the non-permanent seat during the upcoming two years.
- Ms Nina Čepon, CEP Executive Director
- Mr Flavio Milan, Deputy Head of UN Division, Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA), Switzerland (current non-permanent member of the UNSC) (online contribution)
- Mr Matej Marn, Head of the UN Security Council Task Force, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
- Ms Sabina Stadler Repnik, Head of the Strategic Studies and Analyses Service, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
- Dr Ljubica Jelušič, professor at the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences
- Mr Samo Selimović, Peace Operations Training Centre (POTC) Coordinator
Moderated by Mr Peter Grk, Secretary General of the Bled Strategic Forum, National Coordinator for the Western Balkans, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia.
Following the roundtable discussion, you are kindly invited to join us at the pre-holiday banquet at Jable Castle.